Tuesday, September 23, 2003

In case you were wondering, It was never really my specific intention to begin to ‘review’ any of the recorded efforts of my musical artistic peer group here in Cleveland. In all honesty, I can make no claims to any professional integrity whatsoever in regards to music criticality! However, as opposed to writing about my own personal life (as interestingly complex as it might be), I find that the effort is better directed towards some artistic cause. An artistic cause is a perfect excuse to right some about what the hell is going on around me here just below the frantic surface of things! I started the Open Mic News Letter with the idea that I would simply start to attempt to clearly connect names and faces to guitars and songs, perfectly innocent intentions, really! Things have just gotten out of hand and look what has happened – a full on web blog devoted to the Cool Cleveland semi professional and amateur music scene! Considering I have been in Cleveland for all of four years, well, I just have THE NERVE don’t I! As my friend Chris Nekvinda has been wont to say “Everyone is entitled to my opinion” – damn straight huh!

Last night I decided to listen to Jim Steigerwald’s CD ‘LOST IN DRIED FLOWERS’ – all the way through, no interruptions, for only the second or third time. This is pretty thick song writing with 11 songs total making up the work – at times the songs lyrics are impenetrable to a less than concerted and or repeated listening effort – it would be great to be able to READ the lyrics in the CD liner notes! On the surface of things, this disk sounds more or less like what you would get if you were listening to Jim live, the major difference being the presentation. The recordings are more broadly representative of Unsub’s writing and artistic efforts, and less about performance technique. The songs are set against straight, rhythmic, mostly low-key guitar music with very few overdubs, making for enjoyable listening even if one is less than inclined to focus on the lyrics. However, it will take an average listener some time and effort to break into the writing for the SUBTERRANEAN meanings. Overall and so far I feel that I have failed to unravel the tightly wound stories and lurking shadowy imagery of the UNSUB CD, but I will continue to try. On the recorded version of RED BALLOON GOES BOOM Jim really has captured a fittingly round and rich acoustic guitar tone. It tells us in the liner notes that this song was recorded at Magnetic North Studios and I wonder – on good old analog tape or straight digital to hard disk? Jim highlights the lyrics in this version by recording the song with a somewhat less frantic tempo than you might have heard him play it live, lending poignancy and depth to the material. UNSUB is an artist yearning to be heard, confident and plaintive of voice, Jim deserves the artistic respect of his peer group, and this disk proves it.



Contact Jim: Jim Steigerwald AKA: UNSUB UNSUB33@MSN.COM

No comments:

Post a Comment