Thursday, April 01, 2004

Arabica U Circle

Wednesday night was only the second or third (fourth?) time I have had the pleasure of playing and singing into this room - there is something really special about this room, it has a really big heart, and it is filled with a most interesting mix of people. In addition to it's most beautiful heart, this room has the peculiar effect of making me want to hit the road as a full time singer songwriter. This room makes me feel like I am going somewhere or that I have gone somewhere or that I must go somewhere - far away from my mostly milquetoast existence. If I could play rooms like this one every day (and I only suppose I could), I would do so. The question is: When do I start?

Last night the piano room was 'hoppin' - lot's of people comming and going - from in the piano room I can't even really see what is going on in the other rooms (or upstairs), can only hear the general hubbub all around. It seems to me that the first floor is the place to see and be seen, and of course that's where the live music happens, so those patrons who are sitting at those tables are a part of what is going on musically - they are musical participants or accomplices, you know what I mean? On this night, one of the large tables in the piano room hosted two consecutive parties of 6 (or more), the first party being a family of Korean folks, and when they cleared out, a group of distinguished 'over 50 types' sat down - they were just in time to hear Jim Snively play a set of his original tunes. I thought this to be entirely appropriate given that Jim is into his 50's as well!! Jim sounded really good, he mostly does, however consistently humble he is about his performance technique!

To summarize: I love this room! It is smoke free, geographically significant, and I feel rejuvenated when playing to a crowd there - it has a powerful magic to it when it is buzzing full of folks and I am hoping that the Wednesday Night Open Mic will once again become a powerful, popular, and entertaining event.

See you out there next Wednesday then, OK???

(I will have some copies of my demo CD with me)

No comments:

Post a Comment