Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Mifune CLE and the Inhabitants NYC

I have been surfing around (probably surfing to much...) and I have gathered up some artists sites/sounds I have been liking especialy and here are a two of them for you to groove with:

The Inhabitants NYC - it's kinda funny the way peoples voices can come and go from one's life, the singer for this band was at one time one of my favorite Portland voices (in so far as singer songwriters go) and I remember him telling me this story of buying a two way plane ticket from PDX to NYC and just disappearing one summer from PDX and going to NY to live there, anywhere, he slept where ever for a whole summer, partied like a madman, and played on the Staten Island Ferry and on the streets - so when he came back and had all these strong songs, I thought that was really cool. So now here he is, more than ten years later, with a spiffy website, an NYC band, and some clean clear respectable sounds, tunes with good arrangements, clear vocal concepts, and lot's of musical space.

Mifune CLE - The SOUND creations that these musicians are making are sweet and contemporary world electronique compositions - this music sounds sophisticated when juxtaposed against what I generally have come to think of as the Cleveland scene/sound, so these sounds stand out against the cocky rock and roll background. These composers/musicians have all played together in one form or another in Cleveland, most noteably with Matt Gerovac in the Serious Aeolian Belfry and later in one of my favorite CLE acts, Matt Gerovac and the Implosion (Matt is in LA these days). And I can hear some of that colaboration here in Mifune, but only a little! Where SAB was kinda kooky, Mifune is easy on the ears with a light and well jammed breezy sound that hints at Chicago and something Jaco-esque.

No comments:

Post a Comment